Friday, July 27, 2012

Location Location Location!

Apparently it is all about location location location. . .

After many years of working in Washington DC I had my share of run ins with homeless people. The most memorable events were of the woman who was pregnant for 3 years (she must be having a herd of elephants); the guy who in the middle of the afternoon stripped down to his birthday suit in the park and just sat down on the bench (I guess he got hot huh?); and the constant people who yelled at trees, walls and people who just weren't there.

After my office moved to Alexandria I noticed I hadn't come across a homeless person since we left DC. I guessed that the location of my office was not one that really supported a homeless community.Well I have to say I was wrong. In the last 2 weeks I've come across 2 homeless gentlemen and I've noticed that with location comes a different breed of homeless individuals.This morning I saw that one of these individuals was listening to an ipod (or the like) and had a pipe (like one that Sherlock Holmes would use). Wow - you change location you get a more sophisticated version of the homeless. I wonder what Beverly Hills homeless people look like, my guess is they drive a Toyota instead of a Lexus!

2 comments:

  1. Technically speaking, Alexandria has an ordinance against pan-handling. As for the homeless, chances are - they are not truly homeless. They are just trying to obtain tax-free money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They weren't even asking for money so I guess they are tourists?

    ReplyDelete