Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bakersfield, California

"I wish they all could be California girls" or so says the Beach Boys (ohh ohh and David Lee Roth too). . . 

In the mornings on my way to work I like to listen to the local radio station and my favorite morning show is the Jack Diamond Morning Show on Mix 107.3 FM here in the DC area. I have listened to his show for years and I have to say I love the chemistry of Jack and Jimmy. Over the years there have been a number of other individuals who have rotated in and out of this show but Jack is the constant (hence the reason it is called the Jack Diamond Morning Show instead of Some Peeps On The Radio This Morning Show). I like his voice and his overall personality on the radio so I stay. I do get a bit annoyed that every morning I hear pretty much the same songs at the same time every day (is it just me or do you notice that too) but that is the radio station's lineup for that time slot so I just have to suck it up if I choose to listen to Jack. Right? Right!

Not too long ago the show got a new member. Her name is Brooke. She was certainly made to be on radio. Why do you ask, well it is because she has one of those Kathleen Turner type voices (you know that husty/raspy deep woman voice) that really makes you notice. Well I guess being new to the show she wants to make herself known in this area and much like all people on the radio she tell stories about her past and growing up. At first I found myself excited to get to know her because she said one word that really got my attention. That word was: BAKERSFIELD. As in Bakersfield, CA. I though hey cool  I have family out in Bakersfield . Shout out to the Rodman clan - what what (bet you didn't think I'd get all gangsta on ya - ha ha ha just kidding). Well the more I listen to her stories of back home in Bakersfield, the more annoyed I get.




Why do I get annoyed you may ask? Well when she talks about Bakersfield it comes across like a Mayberry small town kind of place when I know in fact it is not. Oh sure Bakersfield is small compared to Washington DC and NYC but come on, it isn't a small po-dunct (I guess that is how you spell it) kind of place. Now I know what your are thinking, not a big deal, but for some reason it just makes my skin crawl when she does that. It has been a number of years since I've physically been to Bakersfield, but even my memory recalls it not being a small town. I always thought Taft, CA was a smaller town than Bakersfield.


According to the visitors guide for Bakersfield, in the 2010 census they had over 338,000 residents and it is the 11th largest city in California. Not too shabby considering how large a state California is. Like I said, Bakersfield isn't Washington DC (population in 2011 of over 617,000) or NYC (population of over 8, 200,000) but hey it isn't Tazwell, VA (population of just over 4,000) or even Trinidad, CA (population of just over 300). Oh and speaking of Mayberry, apparently Mayberry was loosely based on Andy Griffith's home town of Mount Airy, NC which had in the 2010 census a population of over 10,000 people.

I thought about sending an email to Brooke but figured I not worth my time, instead I am voicing my annoyance here for all you lovely people to see. What you don't like what I have to say? Well go get your own blog then! (raspberries to you) No no no, you don't have to thank me. It has been my pleasure to share this very important piece of news. Now I return you to your regularly scheduled program. . . "Up next is California Girls by Katy Perry".

No comments:

Post a Comment