Monday, January 6, 2014

Sewing . . . No Can Do



I consider myself to be a crafty kind of person. I command a glue gun like a pro. I love to go to Michaels so much that my husband teases me that I need to be supervised when I go. I can make/repair jewelry. I can even do counted cross stitch. I even took a class on how to make stained glass designs and was great at handling the soldering iron. Yet I've never master the art of the sewing machine.

Oh sure like most people I look the required classes in middle school and we made all sorts of things but I never really learned how to sew. I don't know the basics which is really sad. My mom has a very nice sewing machine and could do the basics but I never learned. I really would like to be able to do things with the sewing machine. I spend lots of free time on Pinterest and see all these great ideas for things that require basic use of the sewing machine and I actually get sad because I can't do the project. I really do need to do something about it. I'm not looking to be able to make my own clothes but I'd like to be able to hem things and do basic things on the sewing machine. Joann Fabrics and Michaels would both be places I'd need supervision if I could master the basics.

I see that my local Joann Fabrics Store offers a 2 1/2 hour class on sewing basics for $35. Maybe I should try that and then just buy fabric and practice. Suggestions from any long time sewers?

2 comments:

  1. I have a gift card to take cake decorating classes at Joann's. You know I love that but it has been 3 yrs since I got the card. I need to just do it. I would be interested in doing sewing basics too. Maybe we could do it together!

    ReplyDelete