Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Love in a Reality Show Way

I don't faithfully watch the reality love shows but last night I didn't have choir practice so I took the opportunity to watch The Bachelor. The current Bachelor Juan Pablo, is supposed to be a wonderfully fabulous guy so I tuned in. And yes, oh yes he is a very good looking guy, is well spoken, loves his daughter and has some seriously nice abs. But that is not what had me sucked into the show.


What got me was the reactions by the women who are participating in the show. This is the 18th season for The Bachelor. You don't have to watch the entire season to understand how it works. ABC chooses one handsome/wealthy/talented guy to woo 25 to 30 women living under 1 roof. He chooses several women to go on "one-on-one" dates and the rest he goes on group dates with and slowly eliminates women he isn't connecting with at the rose ceremony. The purpose of the show, to allow this bachelor to find his potential perfect mate.

What has me puzzled about this show is all the women who participate know how it works (they always know who the bachelor is from seeing him on a previous season of the show. So why, oh why do they get so upset and at least one of them breaks down saying "I didn't know it would be this hard to share him"? Every season several ladies break down in tears and say that.

I know you can't fully understand something until you go through it but think logically ladies. But lets break this down: You are 1 of 25/30 women in one house trying to get one on one time with this handsome guy. He either chooses you for a private date or you have to fight for his attention in the group date. Come time for the rose ceremony the ladies know there are more girls than roses. Each week you see girls fighting for his attention, doing anything they can to stand out and then you see girls being sent home and they are in tears. How do you think you are going to handle it? Everyone will crack under the pressure cooker that this situation. Even the strongest person is going to have moments of weakness.

I am always amazed when there is one girl who sits there with a smug look on her face and starts to talk nasty about another girl who has gotten the lucky chance to have a one-on-one date with Mr. Wonderful. It never fails that she will say "I'm not jealous". Seriously if you are not jealous then what do you call your behavior? Oh and then some other girl will end up in the bathroom crying to her new BFF that she didn't know it would be so hard to share him with all these other women? WHAT? Is it in your contract to be dramatic and say something like that? Are you really that naive? Come on ladies - just suck it up and say "I was hoping I wasn't going to be "THAT" girl (you know the one who gets her feeling hurt)". I would have more support for you for being real and just saying hey it happens, let me blow my nose and wash my face and get back out there and smile my little butt off.

Is he really the one? Is he worth going through all this? If he is, shouldn't you feel comfortable with the situation and know in your head and heart that hes going to pick you in the end. Oh sure you can be jealous, just admit it. Come out and say it, you are smitten with him so seeing him kiss another girl is going to make you jealous.

Hopefully Juan Pablo will find the woman of his dreams and they will all live happily ever after. . . somehow I'm not sold. But ABC is because I'm sure they are already in the works for the next season of Bachelorette and then will be onto the next season of Bachelor.

No comments:

Post a Comment