Friday, January 3, 2014

My Dream Job


I love this quote because really it is true!


How many of us are doing what we love and how many of us are doing what we know because it pays the bills? For those of you doing what you love, congrats! I am very jealous. Needless to say I work at a job not my career. Why? Because I don't really know what I want to be when I grow up (well besides a ToysRUs kid). With that said, I do have an idea of what my dream job would be, you know if I was rich and could just start a business from scratch without worry. 

YOU: So Ashley what is your dream job? 
ME: I'm glad you asked . . . I would be a personal party planner. 

How many of you were shocked at that revelation? Hands up. You in the back a little higher I can't see you.

Not a real shock to those who know we too well. I love to plan and put together a party. I love to entertain (big or small). I get that from my mom. I get great enjoyment out of planning and executing a party. Then I love to watch the party happen and see how people react to what I've created. I love every little bit of it . . .  from picking a theme (usually comes pretty quickly to me), to the food and drinks (hours and hours are spent on that aspect), to the decorations (probably my favorite part and I think I spend more time looking into decorations that planning on the food) and finally to the little knickknacks and giveaways. Oh how I love it. The only part I don't like is the clean up afterwards. I mean by the time the party is over I'm pooped and frankly who likes to do the dishes and pick up the trash? If you do well then when I become rich and start this business you have a job! Wait a second, come to think of it if I had my own business it would be because I was rich and I would already have enough money to hire someone to do the clean up. Score - problem solved!

I don't know the name of this company yet but I do know one thing about it. It would be for small private gatherings not the big huge record launch parties I'll be invited to attend (remember I'm rich by this time so I go to rich people's parties). Oh sure big grand parties are fun but I just like the feel of a smaller personal party. Now don't get this confused with an event planner . . . no no no that's too much headache with trying to find the location, talking with the chef to plan the menu, ordering the linens, designing the set up, getting the bartender and the DJ and on and on. This will be different because I will have the creative control for the party. My clients are just too busy to put together the party for themselves but they know kind of what they want and they are comfortable with me creating an exciting party for them with a little input. I know it sounds like I'm a control freak but hey, it's my company and those are my rules. 

These parties would be held at a private residence or a small venues (that are like a home away from home). I love coming into a home and using the already existing structure and furnishing as part of the decor. An example is when I throw a party at the house (well actually I mean at my dad's house) I incorporate things like the columns, flow of the house and the ceilings into consideration for party planning.  What? My townhouse is just too small and quiet frankly my mom designed her house to be a place for entertaining so I use it as she wanted. Oh sure you have to move some tables here and there but having a hard shell with furniture is so much better than rented round tables and crappy rental chairs with a long head table (blah blah blah). It gives your party that homey/personal feel which is what I would want for your husband's 40th birthday fiesta or your best friend's baby shower or even junior's 8th birthday party. Don't forget mom and dad's 30th wedding anniversary or your family reunion.

I love to go onto Pinterest and find various ideas for my party planning business. If you are ever on my page, check out my board entitled PARTY IDEAS. I have pulled from so many different Pinterest pins that I could plan a neon night party, a jungle safari, a princess party or a monster madness party. Oh the options are endless from the tableware, to balloons, to feathers, food, drinks, set up and invitations.

 Something like this:


 
So what would your dream job be? Money is no object (meaning you already have an income to pay the bills) and you want to so something for a living that would allow you the creative freedom you have always wanted? No dream is silly in my book. Now I just have to win the lottery so I can quit my job and start my career!

No comments:

Post a Comment