Thursday, August 23, 2012

Aging myself

I was just reading a blog in which the author mentioned that they were making a list of the things their child would never know about, understand the meaning to, and/or experience because they were born in the 2000's. I have to admit I started reading her list and found it very fascinating. I've started making my own list (using some of her suggestions as well as my own)

1. The rotary dial on the phone. They physical phone and the sound it made when it dialed the number. My grandmother use to use a pencil to dial the numbers on a rotary phone.
2. Always having a quarter to use in the phone booth just in case. When was the last time you saw a phone booth?
3. Pen pals. You know actual people that you didn't really know that you wrote a letter to and mailed it off to them and waited a week or so for a reply.
4. The smoking section in the back of the plane. Don't miss that at all but I think most planes still have the no smoke light right? 5. A vinyl record. Ok Smiley will know about these as my family still has lots of them.
6. Saturday Morning Cartoons. You know the real ones with Bugs Bunny, the Rod Runner and Elmer Fudd.
7. A typewriter. The old kind. My grandmother used them constantly and when I took typing in school we used real typewriters - not even the electric type.
8. Waiting all day to tape record that one song on the radio you wanted. . . and the DJ talked during the entire opening of the song so you really didn't even get the good part.
9. Couples Only Skating. I always went skating with my girlfriends so we all linked arms and skated together.
10. Banana Clips. Guilty - I had them in many colors.
11. Rabbit Ears on the TV.
12. Remote Controls. You know, when you had to get up and turn the dial on the TV to change the channel.

I know this is only a small list but it really does get you thinking about what you grew up with verse items your kids will grow up with as staples.

1 comment:

  1. We were just watching Louis C.K. talk about this last night on his DVD 'Hilarious'!

    ReplyDelete