Tuesday, August 7, 2012

To ink or not to ink . . . that is the question

I was listening to the talk radio this morning and they were discussing tattoos. They were listing the results of a poll about who has them, what people think of them, blah blah blah. And then naturally they opened the phone lines for people to call in and answer the questions of "Do you have a tattoo? If so what is it? Where did you put it? Why did you get it? Do you regret it?" I found it interesting that more women called in (yes they had tattoos) and for the most part the women didn't have any regrets. The conversation also pointed out that tattoos were becoming much more fashionable in the younger generations these days. Do these young men and women think before getting a tattoo? I mean really think about it? My guess is no.

I have wanted to get a tattoo for 10+ years now but I never actually went. What can I say I don't like needles. I have seen some nice tattoos and some really ugly ones over the years. The ones I like the best are those that have meanings behind them. For example a friend of mine has an autism puzzle piece on her body to show her support for autism awareness (she has 2 boys with autism). This is awesome in my opinion. The tattoo itself is really nice looking and the meaning behind it is powerful (a mom showing her love and support for her kids). I dated a guy one time that had a peace sign on his backside. Oh sure it has a funny story (alcohol was involved) but when he's 85 what will he think of it then? I could be wrong - it could be an even better story then.

So what would I get if I did ever get the courage up? An elephant, naturally. Anyone who knows me, I mean really knows me, would understand. I have loved elephants since I was a small girl. So where would I get it? Well originally I wanted it on my chest but thought against it when my same friends pointed out that the tattoo would look nice right now but as I got older the elephants trunk would have sunk down to my belly button (thanks guys - love you too). I opted that I would get it on thigh if I ever did. And not just any elephant will do - nooooooo. I have chosen one in particular that I think symbolizes me.

For those of you who grew up with Looney Tunes, did you ever see Calling Dr. Porky? It is a 1940's cartoon where Porky is a doctor and a drunk dog comes in with the hiccups. Well the dog begins to see pink elephants. I love these elephants - they are cute but with a hint of mischievousness to them.  Here is a YouTube link to the cartoon if you want to see what I'm talking about: http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=l5OKElB47cw

This also got me to thinking about how the permanent markings on my body and how it will translate to telling Smiley yes and no when she gets older. The only permanent markings I have are my pierces earrings. I have 2 holes in each ear. I had to earn my first hole as a girl and got them when I was about 10 or so. The second hole I have I got when I was 19 (mom wouldn't let me get another hole so I got the second piercing when I was old enough to do it on my own). I love my earrings and wouldn't change a thing. So when Smiley is old enough she can get her first set of ear piercings. More holes after that - we will just have to see.

This also got me to thinking about my actions and how they will affect Smiley. I want to set a good example so I know I need to change things in my life so she doesn't see me doing it and adopt my bad habits. The worst habit I have right now is I drink way to much soda. Anyone who knows me, my drink of choice is a soda. I don't like water (yes I know I know) but I don't like it. I never have. BUT I need to drink more water and less soda to be a good example to her as she grows.

Strange how a radio conversation about tattoos lead my mind to being a role model. With that said, I need to go find a soda (long night with broken sleep due to Smiley) and lots of work to do so maybe I'll be good later and have some water (yeck!).

No comments:

Post a Comment