Monday, January 26, 2015

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Yesterday I learned the hard way that kids so hear everything we say and then repeat it. Yesterday while playing I heard Smiley say something (not once but twice) that sounded an awful lot like "Damn It". I wasn't sure and I asked her "what was that" to which I got either ignored or just a grunt reply. Well both B-man and I heard it loud and clear yesterday evening during the full on temper tantrum at bed time. I pulled in her nightlight and she said "Damn it, now you've ruined everything" (add foot stomp and fist against leg).



My mouth was probably gaping open moments after that. I had to ask her again "What did you say"? to which I just go a noise reply of "Uh". "What did you say?" "Where did you hear that?" but again no reply. Add about 10 minutes of temper tantrum and all was fixed (she even got to unplug and replug the nightlight in). I asked B-man what he thought and his reply was "maybe she picked it up at daycare". Naturally I'm racking my brain to try and think, have I ever said that? I might have said "damn it" in an angry moment (and if that is the case - mea culpa mea culpa) but I can promise you I have never uttered "now you've ruined it". I had to try and tell her that we don't repeat/say that phrase to which I got an O.K. but I'm not sure that even clicked.

I have to tell you I'm still a bit shocked and taken aback by it. I know in the grand scheme of things that "damn it" is less than say the f-bomb or other similar words but its the fact that I try so hard to not say things like that around her and will correct others for potty mouthing it.

I know you seasoned moms out there are probably shaking your heads at me and say "first time mom, well bless her heart" but it really has gotten under my skin. When was the first time you heard something come out of your precious little ones mouth that really made you think about your language?

No comments:

Post a Comment