Thursday, February 6, 2014

2014 Winter Olympics

I'm so excited that the Olympics are almost here! I'm such a junkie for the opening and closing ceremonies. I love to watch the games. I don't watch every sport but I do try and catch certain things like Ice Skating and Hockey. But I'm certainly interested in learning more about Curling and watching the Women's ski jumping! I might tune in to see Shaun White compete too.

I bet it has to be exciting to be an Olympic athlete. Tops in your sport that you can make the team to represent your country. How exciting is that. Even if you don't win a medal you are an amazing athlete in my books. Heck I'm a couch potato so you all amaze me.

I have to admit I get all teary-eyed by P&G Olympic mom commercials. You know the ones where it starts out that moms all over the world are waking their tiny kids up to take them to practice. They are there to cheer on the kids and they develop. They are there to put ice on the bumps and bruises. They are there at the qualifying meets as the kids get older and then they are there at the Olympics when the child competes and finishes, then rushes over to hug mom. OMG that makes me cry every time.

You know like these commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-20Qe4M8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57e4t-fhXDs

Best of luck to all the Olympic athletes as we start this great international competition. Here's to the families as well.


 

Just in case you didn't know:  The symbol of the Olympic Games is composed of five interlocking rings, colored blue, yellow, black, green, and red on a white field, known as the "Olympic rings". The symbol was originally designed in 1912 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, co-founder of the modern Olympic Games. According to Coubertin, the ring colours with the white background stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags that competed in the Olympic games at that time. Upon its initial introduction, Coubertin stated the following in the August, 1912 edition of Olympique
"...the six colors [including the flag’s white background] thus combined reproduce the colors of all the nations, with no exception. The blue and yellow of Sweden, the blue and white of Greece, the tri- colors of France, England and America, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Hungary, the yellow and red of Spain next to the novelties of Brazil or Australia, with old Japan and new China. Here is truly an international symbol."
- Wikipedia.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment